Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Chapter Nine: Briana Learns the Truth



Alys knew exactly who Malus was. He was the sorcerer who'd kidnapped Balin and held him hostage when she was a girl. Eventually, Balin, Alys, and two of her friends had been able to seal off Malus's dark magic, but their 'fix' was temporary. "How do you know he's back?" asked Alys inquisitively.
Balin again hung his head. "I've seen signs," he answered. "A man entered my tower speaking gibberish."
"Balin, we have to do something," Alys said, "but what?"
"Your Majesty, we're talking about black magic here. Very, very dangerous black magic."
"You told me he is a shape shifter and can never be completely defeated," she replied, "but merely sealing off the magic is not enough. He is much too powerful for that."
"You're right," sighed a resigned Balin. "I know that I don't generally advocate military action," he said, "but I don't think my magic is enough to defeat him this time. I think we need to employ our mightiest weapons. He's entering the minds of his victims, so that's what we have to do."
So Alys stood at her table, the one she used when she wanted to think long and hard about something, pondering what to do about Malus.



A while later, Queen Alys and Fair Maiden Briana waited at the upstairs table in her personal dining area for Knight-Captain Morgan. Before she heard the terrible news about Malus, she had given Morgan an ultimatum: either she was going to tell Briana her true identity -- or she, Alys, would.



"You said you had something to tell me, about the joust?" asked Fair Maiden Briana.
Alys let out a deep sigh.
"Yes, I do..." Alys' voice trailed off.
Suddenly appeared Knight-Captain Morgan in all her glory. "Why don't we hear the truth from Morgan herself?" suggested Alys as Briana's eyes moved from Alys to Morgan.
Morgan cleared her throat. "Briana -- remember our dance at the tournament?"
"Yes?"
"Briana, remember I fought for your honor?"
"Was it you?"
"Yes. Briana, my name is Morgan, I'm captain of the royal knights here in Arkovia -- and I'm a woman."



"What?" Briana asked Alys and Morgan at the same time. "You're what? A woman? Bu -- bu -- it can't be!"
"Yes, it is," confirmed Alys. "Morgan is employed by me as captain of the royal guards. And as captain of the royal guards, she was therefore Arkovia's champion at the games."
"I don't know any female knights," Briana protested. "You beat all those male fencers at the games!"
Morgan told Briana the story of how she'd arrived in Arkovia at the age of thirteen, disguised as a boy and intending to become a knight.
"I still cannot believe that you are a woman!" exclaimed Briana.
Thought Morgan, I cannot believe it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment